Translate

Wednesday 13 August 2014

Scratch & Scratch Jr.

Scratch (developed by MIT) is a website that allows users to learn coding while creating interactive stories and games. Although initially intended for a younger audience (8 to 16 years), Scratch is now known to be used by programming beginners of any age.

Scratch, like other websites/applications I've mentioned, lets the user give a series of commands to an avatar, ranging from more simple to more complex. The program also allows its users to share their own work and collaborate (by doing a 'Remix' of a project that has already been shared by others) with other projects. 



My personal experience with Scratch was very gratifying although I couldn't dedicate as much time as I would've wanted for the completion of this project since I wanted to try other tools too. However, when I first started using Scratch I completely disliked it (this was the 2nd website I tried when I began this 'learning to code' journey). First of all, I disliked it because it seems like a children's oriented interface but I struggled to get my avatar to do certain things  I intended and  it was frustrating. 

After receiving direct instructions and hints on guidance and what to do, the user completes 13 steps and can share their project if they want. The user is then practically expected to start clicking freely and learn new tricks on their own and at their own pace. If the user is not yet confident, he/she can click on one of the Step-by-Step Guides provided: Getting Started with Scratch (the main tutorial), Animate Your Name, Make a Greeting Card or Map of Scratch Editor.

Scratch Jr. is an iPad app very similar version of the website but is intended for younger children (5-7 years). The child can practically do the same projects as on the website but the commands are only shown by icons (with no words) and there are less commands available to choose from. The Android version of this app is expected to be released this year and a website in 2015. 









No comments:

Post a Comment